Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bunco Night!

Yea!! It's Bunco night, and it's at my house!

For those 20 people in world that hasn't heard of Bunco, it's a fun, fun game that is played mostly by women. It's a dice game, played with three dice. I understand that there are a few different ways to play it, but here's how we do it: We used to play at tables of 4 (there's 8 of us), but now we just tend to gather around one table. We don't have to tell stories twice this way, and everyone can visit while we eat and play. The technical way we play is that we roll the dice, attempting to get three of whatever we are rolling-ones, twos, right up to six. When we play at two tables, we have partners, and the goal is to reach 21 points. When we play at one table, it's every man for herself and we play to 14. I like playing at one table best, so I always set up just one. Sometimes, we don't roll any dice at all until the very end of the evening. We eat, talk and catch up with what's happened since we saw each other last, which, after all, was a whole month ago. Then, someone will inevitably say "Hey, it's 9:00 and we haven't even rolled yet." So, then we get the dice and roll to see who gets the prizes. We "donate" $5 each per month and the hostess is responsible for buying prizes. We give first, second, third, bunco and boobie prizes. The first three are given according to points accumulated. Bunco is given for rolling the most buncos-oh, I should explain that a bunco is awarded when you roll three of the number you are currently rolling-is that confusing? Boobie, of course, is for last place. Even the boobie prize is highly coveted! There are lots more technical rules, but this is how we play, and we've been playing together for over 17 years, so we must know what we're doing!

We are quite the diverse group. We have a college professor/political expert-she's on tv all the time talking about politics! She's our only celebrity of the tv sort. We have two business women-one is a real estate agent, the other owns a tanning salon; three of us are in the medical profession-one works in the business office of a clinic, one is a nurse at Children's Hospital and one works in the heart unit of Children's Hospital. One is a administrative assistant for a big, big company and makes the travel arrangements for everyone in the company. And, then there's me! I am a stay at home mom who frequently talks about getting a job, and sometimes I do, but never for very long. I just like being at home and working on my house.

One of the best things about bunco is the food! We eat well! Hop over to Dinner at the Hamlet to see what we're eating tonight!

1 comment:

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Cathy,
I thought I would drop by and see how you were doing. I have heard of Bunco before. I never was in the group, but there was a group of ladies that played it once a week. It sounds like fun. I think it's always so fun just to get together and have fellowship with friends. Maybe you could make a Bunco Slumber Party out of it sometime? That's just a thought. You would have to do it on the weekend tho when no one is working. "THANK YOU" for sharing your play on Bunco. When you have time, stop by. I have something for you on my today's post. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.